One of the common things that I hear people say is that they do not have enough time to do this and that, but I want to counter that statement today and say that you make time for what you want to make time for. A perfect example is when a woman meets a guy that she likes no matter how busy she is she will make time for that guy or relationship. It is time that we give ourselves the love that we so desperately search for elsewhere. In order to be able to even give love you must be able to give it to yourself. When we don’t take care of ourselves our health, mental and spiritual state suffers. Without those key things we cannot be productive or excel in life. I think it is imperative to make time for yourself despite being busy. In this blog post I want to share with you 8 ways in which you can practice self-care even when you are busy.
1) Preparation: A lot of times we procrastinate and wait till last minute to get things done, which in turn causes us to be rushed, overwhelmed and more busy than we should be. I challenge you to try to do things in advance if possible so that you can have more time later on. A perfect example is ironing all of your work clothes for the whole week. I used to do this and it helped me so much in the mornings. I was able to wake up a little later, I didn’t feel as rushed and I was able to get out the door on time. While the preparation could take awhile the rewards are worth it. You can also try preparing your meals in advance; cooking a lot of food to spread out for 3 days instead of one, or taking a shower as soon as you get off work so that you can have some me time and then head to bed at a decent hour. You would be surprised how helpful a little preparation can be.
2) Saying No: Sometimes we can be super busy because instead of saying no to people and plans we say yes to everything. I have learned to say no without having to explain myself. If I feel I am tired or I want to save money I politely refuse plans and I rest. If someone wants me to do something and my plate is full I decline. I make sure that I do not overload myself. Taking on too many responsibilities is what often causes us to feel burnt out or overwhelmed. I challenge you to say NO when you want to say no and give yourself some time to breathe.
3) Make time: We make time for what and who we want to, so why not make time for ourselves? Schedule “me time” every week in which you do something entirely for yourself; whether it is a bubble bath on a Monday, or some crochet or Netflix time, schedule it in and treat it like a priority.
4) Prioritize: Sometimes there is simply not enough time to get it all done. Sit down and prioritize the most important things and start from there so that you don’t get overwhelmed. Some things need to be handled later so that you can focus on yourself and feel renewed.
5) Create a comfortable and warm space: I do not know about you but I love a nice pillow, hotel sheets, or super soft throws, dim lighting and scented candles. These things make me feel warm inside and I just feel comfortable. I challenge you to create a comfortable and warm space in your home that is just for you. Whenever you feel overwhelmed or just want you time, go to that space and indulge in that warm atmosphere and relax. You will be happy you did it. When you feel more relaxed you can accomplish more and be more productive.
6) Get Active: Studies have shown that exercise and getting out and being active can help improve your mood which is essential for your well-being. Take some time to exercise or if you don’t like exercising, try a dance workout video where you get to have some fun with it. Take a walk. Go to a park. Get active and take care of you.
7) Get Enough Sleep: Sleep is one of my favorite past-times. I am not a morning person but when I get an appropriate amount of sleep 8 to 9 hours (yes I love my sleep) I feel so much more renewed and alive the next day. You need to rest your body and take care of you. When you don’t get enough sleep it can cause your mood to change, health problems and increase your stress level. I understand that finding time to sleep can be very hard if you have a busy life. Schedule sleep in. Give yourself a bedtime and stick to it like your life depends on it, unless of course something serious comes up. When you get into a habit of going to bed earlier you will wake up feeling more refreshed and ready to get all that you have to do done.
8) Treat Yourself: In the midst of our busy lives it can feel like we are taking care of everybody and nobody is taking care of us. Start taking care of yourself and treating yourself. Send yourself flowers, get your nails done, and buy yourself your favorite dessert.
I know that life can get real busy and that we can get into a habit of neglecting ourselves but you cannot pour from an empty cup. You need to practice self-care so that you can continue being a blessing to others and to also live in your purpose. Love yourself the way in which you would want someone else to do so. Say no to things that you don’t want to do, and say yes to what you do want to do. Prepare in advance and treat yourself. I hope these tips will help you to practice self-care. When you love yourself you take care of yourself. Show yourself love by being more compassionate and forgiving to yourself as well as treating yourself; you deserve it Queen.
Thanks for reading!!!
Share this Post
Join the Self-Love Empowers Family!
Sign-up to get the Weekly Newsletter, Motivation, Blog posts, Advice & More!